It can be reached by car up the winding L’Arrbasada road or that of Vallvidrera, or by the funicular that connects with the old Tramvia Blau which starts from Avinguda del Tibidabo.
Right on the summit of the mountain, we find the Temple Expiatori del Sagrat Cor de Jesus, the work of the architect Enric Sagnier. The crypt is open for use and above that is the Temple. It is built in Gothic style but not without a certain majestic grandeur.
From inside one can reach a high platform with a magnificent panoramic view. A bronze statue of the Sagrat Cor stands on the highest spire of the temple.
Near the summit is the Observatori Fabra y Gabinet de Fisica Experimental Mentor Alsina. This observatory was donated to the city by the marques de Alella, Camil Fabra in 1904.
A little lower down is the Torre de Collserola, work of the English engineer Norman Foster. This communication tower is the highest building in the Peninsula, more than 200 meters high and its daring design is visible from any point in the city. The tower has a viewing platform open to the public.
On the skirts of Collserola, already in Barcelona is the mountain Sant Pere Martir where we find Ciutat Universitaria, with different faculty buildings, Political Science and Economics, Advanced Mercantile Studies School, Higher School of Architecture, Saint George’s Fine Arts School, School of Industrial Engineers, Science Faculty, Faculty of Pharmacy, Faculty of Medicine, Faculty of Law, and Faculty of History. The Law Faculty is outstanding among these with its Great Hall and murals by Jaume Cuxart, equipped for all kinds of Congresses.
Near these faculties, we find the Camps d’Esports Universitaris, the Reial Club de Polo, the Club de Tenis Turo, and the installations of Barcelona Football Club with its magnificent stadium, the Camp Nou, with a capacity for one hundred thousand spectators.
This stadium is one of the finest sports constructions in the world and a visit to it, and its Museu del Barga is a “must” for all who visit Barcelona and wish to understand what this club means, not only to Barcelona but to all of Catalonia. Work on the Camp Nou was begun in March 1954 and was finished three years later. It was inaugurated on 24th September 1957, the day of the Merce, patron saint of Barcelona, to whom the members of this club dedicate their trophies.
The initial building, later added to, was the work of the architects Francesc Mitjans Miro and Josep Soteras Mauri, to the orders of, the then President Miro Sans.
In the Trophies room in the Museu del Barca, we can find the cups corresponding to the different competitions won by this club in its long and protracted history, not only in Football, but also in different sections such as Basketball, Handball, Hockey on skates, Ice Hockey, athletics, Baseball, and Artistic ice skating
However, there is no doubt that its most appreciated trophy is the European Cup, won in 1992. for the first time in the history of the club The Palau Blaugrana, the Palau de Gel.
The Mini Estadi football ground, and others that surround it make up the whole of F.C. Barcelona’s installations. Near here we find the Palau Reial or Pedralbes, built between 1919 and 1925 by the architects Borras and Nebot. It contains valuable works of art and is richly decorated.
In this same area of the city, we find the Reial Monastir de Pedrables, an invaluable part of the rich architectonic collection of old Barcelona. It is in the upper part of the Pedrables district and was founded by Queen Elisenda de Montcada, wife of Jaume II. It was planned by Guillem d’Abiell and its builders Ferrer Peiro and Domenech de Granyena.
It was begun in 1324 and finished in 1412. Among the notable sepulchers in the Monastery, the most outstanding is that of the Queen-founder, with its prone statue sculpted in alabaster. At present part of this monastery houses the valuable Thysen art collection.
In this same district, we find the Club de Tenis Barcelona, one of the best installations for this sport to be found in Europe.