Innsbruck Sightseeing

Altstadt – The Old Town

Worth seeing is the entire complex of the Old Town with its narrow streets, old burghers houses, and arcades. Where the Herzog-Friedrich-Straße widens out into a Square is the symbol of Innsbruck, the Goldene Dachl

The Golden Roof

This late gothic alcove, 16 meters high, was built around 1500 and is covered with 3.450 gilt copper shingles. Diagonally opposite, The Helblinghaus, an originally late gothic house which had been lavishly adorned with rococo stuccowork around 1730.

This late gothic alcove, 16 meters high, was built around 1500 and is covered with 3.450 gilt copper shingles. Innsbruck Golden Roof shows in his reliefs Emperor Maximilian I and his two wives, Maria of Burgundy and Maria Bianca Sforza, furthermore Chancellor, jesters, Moreskentänzer, and various arms. Today, there are replicas of the Golden Roof, the original reliefs are in the Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum to visit. Furthermore, crest revealed, concealed references and symbols in the “Golden Roof” Erker said a complex work of art that reflects the self-Maximilians. The mystery is that the lettering tape behind the dancers on the reliefs of the Golden Roof still could not be deciphered.

Following the Herzog-Friedrich-Straße in the southern direction, there is the Altes Rathaus – The Old Town Hall. Gothic, built around the middle of the 14th Century with the Stadtturm – The Town Clock Tower, a 56 meters high tower with magnificent clockwork and sundial (16th Century) and a small gallery at the height of 32 meters with a view of the city and the surrounding mountains. Opposite, the Katzunghaus, 16th Century, with reliefs and small angle-turrets and the Trautsonhaus, 16th Century, with reliefs, bay-windows and painted facade.
Following the Herzog-Friedrich-Straße in the southern direction, almost at its end, there is the Kohleggerhaus, 16th Century, with fresco paintings under the arcades. Then, on either side of the street, the Hauptwache – Main Guard. Court stables in medieval times, and the Karlsburg with a turret of the 16th Century and remains of facade paintings.
Here begins the broad Maria-Theresien-Straße.

Other characteristic buildings of the Old Town: Further west from the Golden Roof towards the river Inn, the Altes Regierungsgebäude – The Old Government Palace, built-in 1520, renovated in baroque style by the town’s architect Gumpp, then Ottoburg a four-storied Castle with bay-windows built-in 1500; in front of it Denkmal Anno 1908 – Monument of the Tyrolean Independence Fighters, a bronze monument by C. Plattner.

Going back to the Golden Roof, turn left to the Pfarrgasse arriving at the Domplatz – Cathedral Square with Dom St. Jakob – St. James’s Cathedral, a church in baroque style, erected in 1720. The interior is decorated with rococo stuccowork, the ceiling was painted by K.D. Asam ( Munich ).

Starting from the Golden Roof, passing the narrow Hofgasse, you arrive at the Hofburg – former Imperial Palace and seat of government. The construction of the building was begun under Archduke Sigmund in 1460 and completed under Emperor Maximilian I. in 1510. After being damaged by an earthquake, the castle was rebuilt in baroque style by architect Martin Gumpp. In the southern wing is the Hofburg Chapel, in the eastern wing the so-called ‘Giants’ Room” with fresco paintings by Maulpertsch. Diagonally opposite is the Hofkirche – Court Church. The church was built according to plans of A. Crivelli 1553 -1563, the interior was rebuilt in baroque style in 1720. Left from the main entrance are the tombs of the Tyrolean heroes of 1809, Andreas Hofer, Josef Speckbacher, and Peter Hassinger. Under the stairs leading to the Silver Chapel is the tomb of Katarina von Loxan. The chapel with the tomb of the Tyrolean Archduke Ferdinand and his wife is built onto the western side of the Hofkirche. In the middle of the nave is the tomb of Emperor Maximilian I. The sarcophagus is decorated with 24 marble reliefs representing scenes from the Emperor’s life. However, the sarcophagus is empty, as Maximilian was buried in Wiener Neustadt according to his own wish. The sarcophagus is surrounded on either side of the nave by 28 larger-than-life-size bronze statues ( the so-called “Schwarze Mander” ) representing the ancestors of Maximilian.

Left from the Hofkirche is the Tiroler Volkskunstmuseum – Tyrolean Folklore Museum with 22 Tyrolean “Bauernstuben” – living rooms from local houses and farms -, authentic local costumes and the exhibition of Nativity churches.
Opposite the Hofkirche is the Stadtsäle – Municipal Halls, in front of the buildings the Leopoldsbrunnen – Leopold Fountain, an equestrian statue of Archduke Leopold V. and the Landestheater – National Theatre of Tyrol, in semiclassical style, built-in 1841-1846, with four Corinthian columns at the main entrance. Reopened after restoration in 1967.

Next to the Landestheater in the Hofgarten – former Palace Gardens, a beautiful well-looked-after park with old trees which is illuminated in the evening. Within the park, the Kunstpavillon – an art gallery with exhibitions of works by Tyrolean artists. In front of the entrance of the Hofgarten is the Monument of Archduke Eugen by artist H. Andre ( 1957 ). Opposite the Hofgarten, at the Rennweg, the new Kongreßhaus – Congress Center completed in 1971, constructed on the war-caused ruins of the Dogana, the former cavalry school and custom-house built by Ch. Gumpp in 1628 as Court Theater for riding performances and festivals of court.
East of the Volkskunstmuseum there is the Alte Universität – Old University, along with baroque building, Jesuit College since 1562-1670 and university since 1776. Next to the university quarters is the
Jesuiten- order Universitätskirche – Jesuit- or University Church, with a 60 meters high dome, Built in the middle of the 17th Century in early baroque style. Then the Theological Faculty with the Alte Bibliothek-Old Library built-in 1600, redesigned in 1722 by G.A. Gumpp with fine stucco ceilings.

From the Golden Roof passing along Herzog-Friedrich-Straße, we reach the Maria-Theresien-Straße, the main street of Innsbruck. With its beautiful old houses, churches, and palaces it is certainly one of the most beautiful main streets of Europe.
Spitalkirche, in baroque style, built-in 1700. Right in the middle of the street, the Annasäule – St. Anne’s Column, erected in commemoration of the retreat of the Bavarian troops who invaded Tyrol on St. Anne’s Day in 1703. In opposite the Rathaus – Town Hall with the new Rathaus Galerien.
This passage, designed by architect Dominique Perrault, one finder shop, restaurants, and a 37 m high glass tower with a 360° panoramic view. Further south of the Maria-Theresien-Straße, the Landhaus – seat of the Tyrolian government, built-in Italian baroque style in 1725 by the town’s architect Gumpp.
Next, the Palais Taxis – Taxis Palace – built in the 17th Century, was the former post-stage and is home of Galerie in Taxispalais ( Exhibitions of international and Austrian contemporary art. Library: international catalog, art theory, and art magazines. Interesting modern architecture in a baroque mansion ).
Opposite, the Palais Trapp – Trapp Palace – built in the 17th Century.

Triumphpforte or Triumph Arch built-in 1765 of breccia from Hötting and white marble on the occasion of the wedding of Archduke Leopold of Toscana, son of Empress Maria Theresia, to Princess Maria Ludovica of Spain, but also to commemorate the death of Emperor Franz I., Maria Theresia’s husband.

At the end of the Maria-Theresien-Straße, the Triumphpforte – Triumph Arch, built-in 1765 of breccia from Hötting and white marble on the occasion of the wedding of Archduke Leopold of Toscana, son of Empress Maria Theresia, to Princess Maria Ludovica of Spain, but also to commemorate the death of Emperor Franz I., Maria Theresia’s husband.
Therefore, we see symbols of joy and love on the southern side of the arch and Symbols of mourning and death on the northern side. In the Museumstraße there is the Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum – the National Museum of Tyrol.
Founded in 1823, it displays prehistoric-, natural history-, and history of art collections of Tyrolean art and gothic and baroque paintings.
Part of the museum is the Zeughaus – a museum for mining, engineering, mineralogy, cartography, and arms. The building was the former armory of Emperor Maximilian l. and built-in 1502-1505, a rectangular building with a vast courtyard.
The New University – Leopold-Franzens-Universität at the Innrain is the third oldest university in Austria. It has seven faculties and about 25.000 students.

District of Wilten

Basilika Wilten – Basilica of Wilten, one of the most magnificent rococo churches of Tyrol. Originally in gothic style, then in rococo style by F. de Paula Penz in 1755. Rococo pulpit, a beautiful high altar with the famous “Wiltener Gnadenbild” ( sculpture of the Virgin Mary ).
Stift Wilten – Wilten Abbey, rectangular baroque building, already mentioned in documents in 1138, and Stiftskirche – Abbey Church, of early baroque style, built-in 1651-1665 on the Site of an older church already mentioned in documents in 1181.
The main entrance is flanked by the statues of the giants Haymon and Thyrsus. In the left niche Haymon who according to the legend, killed Thyrsus in a duel and founded the abbey. Remarkable the black gilt high altar.
Walking past the Basilica and Abbey Church along the Brennerstraße and then ascending a pathway, we arrive at the Bergisel, a hill in the south of Innsbruck wherein 1809 the Tyrolean people fought their battles of independence against the French invaders. In the park, there is the Andreas Hofer Denkmal -the bronze monument of the Tyrolean national hero, Commander of the Tyrolean troops, created by H. Natter in 1893.
Next to it, the Kaiserjägermuseum – a museum to commemorate and honor the famous Kaiserjäger regiment.
The platform offers a magnificent view of the city and the mountain chain in the north, the Nordkette.

Olympic Ski Jump Innsbruck built for the 9th Olympic Games in 1964 and rebuilt in 2002 by Zaha Hadid. In 1976 a second fire-bowl was erected for the second Olympic Winter Games, which were also held in Innsbruck. City Innsbruck ( Innsbruck ) received the futuristic new trademark – and it is a ski hill in Bergisel, which is primarily known for the tournament, “Four Hills Tournament. The Bergisel hill, which in 2001 designed the famous female architect Zaha Hadid is considered to be a sensation in architecture. Finishing in the form of a gibkog bandage that connects the cafe, panoramic terrace, and the run-up ramp. Those with the condition may be better than 455 steps to climb to the top of jumps. However, the rise of the cafes and restaurants as well as to patrol with a panoramic view of 360 degrees on the Tyrolean mountains is a much more comfortable lift or elevator in the Tower Hills. This building is when it first opened to the public one of the most popular destinations in the province of Tyrol. Hours: daily from 09.00 to 17.00 hours.

Quite near, the Olympia Schisprungschanze – Olympic Ski Jump, built for the 9th Olympic Games 1964 and rebuilt in 2002 by Zaha Hadid. In 1976 a second fire-bowl was erected for the second Olympic Winter Games, which were also held in Innsbruck.
Near the Bergisel, situated at the Olympiastraße there is the Olympia Eisstadion – Olympic Ice-Palace. Built-in 1964, renovated in 2004 with seating for 10.000 visitors. The hall is also used for important cultural events. East of the ice-palace the small ice-hall is situated, north the Tivoli open-air swimming pools, and south the new Tivolistadion – Tivoli-stadium. Constructed in 1999 and extended with seating for 30.000 spectators for the European Football Championship 2008.
Near the Mühlauer bridge at the Rennweg is the house of the Rundgemälde – Panoramic circular Fresco of the Bergisel Battle. This circular panorama from over 1.000 m2 shows the victorious battle of the 13th August 1809 under Andreas Hofer against the Bavarian and the French. From Congress Center or Löwenhaus, you can take the new Hungerburg railway ( from 2007 – funicular railway with Station Alpenzoo ) to the Hungerburg, a group of houses on a terrace at the south-side of the Nordkette. Here you have a nice view of Innsbruck and the southern mountains: Patscherkofel, Serles, Nockspitze ( Kalkkögel ). On the footpath to the Hungerburg is the Weiherburg ( castle ) and the Alpenzoo – Alpine Zoo for animals inhabiting alpine regions.
West of here is the area of Hötting and the Alte Höttinger Kirche – Old Hötting Church of the 13th Century with a baroque spire. Also, the Botanic Garden is worth visiting.

To the southeast of the city, on a plateau is the Schloß Ambras ( Hoch- und Unterschloß ) – Ambras Castle, surrounded by a romantic park with ponds and a waterfall. The former medieval castle was reconstructed by Archduke Ferdinand II. 1564-1583 into a renaissance castle. The archduke established the Ambraser Sammlung, a famous collection of art, curiosities, and arms.
In the Castle is the Spanish Room, 43x10m, which is a monumental renaissance hall with 26 portraits of the Tyrolian sovereigns ( counts ). The doors are decorated with inlaid work. There is a magnificent painted ceiling. You have a beautiful view of the city and the Nordkette.

Related guides:

Scroll to Top