The Piazza di Spagna
A church, a flight of steps, and a fountain form the most elegant and complex Roman urban site of the 18th century.
The Church of Trinita dei Monti was started in 1502 and consecrated eighty years later, at the wish of the French kings who dedicated it to a saint dear to them. Saint Francis of Paola. Inside the church are many chapels belonging to noble Roman families.
The Piazza di Spagna – Spanish Steps – Trinita dei Monti
Notice the double ramp staircase and the twin bell towers. At the beginning of the 17th century, Pietro Bernini, father of the famous Gian Lorenzo, built for Pope Urban VIII the unusual boat-shaped fountain. A century later, the third marvel was built to connect these two works of art: the Staircase of the Trinita dei Monti, a wonderful Baroque creation. Built-in 1723 by the architect Francesco De Santis, it consists of a succession of ramps each made up of twelve steps ( total of a hundred and thirty-eight steps ).