After Medno, where the road and the railway run through a narrow part of the Sava valley between Grmada ( 676 m ) and the Polhov Gradec Dolomites, at the confluence of the Sava and the Sora, begins the Gorenjska Plain. At the confluence sits the local center Medvode surrounded by smaller settlements. Goricane boasts a 17th-century manor built by the Bishops of Ljubljana which today houses the Museum of non-European cultures.
The most interesting thing in the area is a 69 hectares big dam Zbiljsko jezero. In Dragočajna on its shore is a campsite. The shore is unspoiled and there are hardly any buildings on it. The only settlement on the shore is Zbilje.
Smlednik, Valburga, and Hraše make a clustered settlement.
On the hill above Smlednik lie the ruins of a once-mighty medieval Old Castle ( Stari grad ) and in Valburga there is a 17th-century manor.
The plain between Šmarna gora and Smlednik hill is covered with forests. Numerous streams carved deep beds into the gravely ground. Behind the villages of Skaručna and Utik, the plain ends with the Dobeno plateau.
To the north, it passes into the Kranj Plain through Repenški hrib ( 4S3 m ) and Bukovniški hrib ( 401 m ). There sits the village of Vodice.
The Kamniška Bistrica valley begins after Črnuče with wide grave deposits brought by the Kamniška Bistrica River from the bosom of the Kamnik-Savinja Alps. Vast gravely deposits join the Kamniška Bistrica valley and the Kranj and Ljubljana Plains.
Domžale has developed only recently. It is the most developed town in the area. It became a market town in 1925 and it only acquired the status of a town after 1945. It has no typical town center.
Krumperk Castle used to be in the possession of the Rauber family, an old Carniolan aristocratic family that received its estates at the beginning of the 16th century. The earliest written proof of its existence dates from 1410. In 1580 the castle was rebuilt by Adam Rauber and has remained the same ever since. Today the castle houses the Equestrian Academy and nearby is the Iron Cave ( Železna Jama ) which is opened for tourists.
Among the low rounded hills of the Zasavje Range past Dob, winds the Moravče valley. Behind Moravče, the center of the valley, the hills pass into Limbarska gora ( 733 m ), while in the south a hilly range with peaks up to 880 m separates the Moravče and the Sava valleys.
The place has been settled since prehistoric times. In the Middle Ages, there was a castle perched above the town. The present castle was built in the 17th century. Mengeš received its market charter during the Habsburg rule.
The Arboretum Volčji potok is the largest arboretum in Slovenia. Behind the park is a wooded hill with the ruins of the Old Castle. The arboretum lies near Radomlje.
Villages at the foot of the Tunjice hills date from the Middle Ages. Komenda is known for its hippodrome and long tradition of pottery.
Medvode sits in the valley at the confluence of the Sava and Sora Rivers.
Krumperk Castle near Domžale is neglected and falling apart. Former castle work areas and the park are nowadays a horse-riding center with a famous riding school.